Looking Back and Ahead
By now, you would have read the report in The Straits Times on 10th September about the Cathedral being given a grant of more than $1 million from National Monuments Fund for our restoration and maintenance works. We are grateful for this provision and it will go a long way towards the $6 million needed for this project. We will be starting our fund-raising soon where you will be given an opportunity to contribute.
We had a Pastors Planning Retreat this week, where we gathered for two days at a conference room in Church of our Saviour, made available through the generosity of the Vicar, Revd Daniel Wee and the parish.
We started by doing a review of some of the developments in our Cathedral life and ministry since 2016. In particular, some of these major questions have been guiding our pastoral leadership:
- What is an Anglican Cathedral right at the heart of the City called to be and do?
- How may we "watch what the Father is doing” (John 5:19) and learn to listen, discern, rely and depend on the guidance of the Lord? Often, He also speaks through circumstances and others.
- How can we strengthen our sense of community and family, where we prioritise friendships over achievements?
- How can we learn to be a "people of His presence", and be a prayerful, worshipping people and relating to each other in the fellowship of the Spirit?
- How can we build our Services that they may reflect their calling and vision? This will include seeking to grow in effectiveness in every area.
- How can we build depth in the Word, be more aware of our Anglican identity, our calling as a Mother Church and inherited role vis a vis the wider city?
- How can we address contemporary concerns confidently?
The themes we have used include:
2016-2017: Roots Down, Walls Down, Bridges Out
2018: Pursuing the Heart of God (Prayer)
2019: Year of Hope (Celebration of Hope)
We also reviewed ministry areas which have grown and some areas which have receded. We then continued the on-going process of planning for 2020 and beyond. We tried to project ahead for the next 3 years. Apart from our Services, we looked at the major areas of our ministries, including sensing where more leadership or work is needed. We will be focussing on the area of intentional discipleship and mentoring in the coming years. In terms of space, we will be preparing to work through the design details for Phase 2 and her impact on ministry possibilities post-2022.
In providing pastoral leadership, we are also aware that we are engaging our lay leadership and the whole parish. We need to contribute to an environment of trust and creative freedom where individuals can grow in their destiny (calling) and teams can flourish together.
Please continue to pray that we may be found faithful to His calling in every season.